9:00AM - 12:00PM and 1:00PM - 3:30PM
Marriage licenses cannot be issued after 3:30 PM
Monday through Friday (excluding holidays)
Applicants must be 18 years of age and provide a current picture ID.
The cost in Whitman County is $44 and we do not take cards of any kind - please bring cash, check, or money order. This fee is non-refundable.
There is a 3 day waiting period in the State of Washington, so you must come in at least 3 days before your ceremony. The license must be used within 60 days, at which time it will expire and you will need to re-apply. This license can only be used in the State of Washington.
Who May Perform My Ceremony?
Per RCW 26.04.050, the following officers and persons, active or retired are hereby authorized to solemnize marriages:
- Any priest, imam, rabbi, or similar official of any religious organization
- Any regularly licensed or ordained minister
- Court of Appeals commissioners
- Judges of the Court of Appeals
- Judges of courts of limited jurisdiction as defined in RCW 3.02.010
- Judges of the Superior Court
- Justices of the Supreme Court
- Superior Court commissioners
- Supreme Court commissioners
If you would like a judge to marry you an appointment must be made with the Whitman County District Court
The following must be provided to obtain your license:
- Both parties must be present
- Unexpired photo ID (driver's license or passport)
- Social security number or sign social security number exemption
- Current residential address for both parties and location of birth
- County in which the ceremony will be performed
- Full name of both parents, including mother's maiden name and the location of their birth
- Names of two witnesses who will sign documents at the ceremony
- Title of your officiant (judge, pastor, priest, etc.)
- Ceremony date and time (must have the date set prior to application)
*LICENSE IS ONLY GOOD FOR 60 DAYS (YOU MUST USE IT WITHIN 60 DAYS OF APPLICATION)
Certified copies of marriages licenses issued in Whitman County may be obtained in the following ways:
- In-office at $3 per certified copy
- Online through the State Archives
Any further questions, please contact our office at 509-397-6270.