Surplus Property

County owned parcels, not acquired through tax foreclosure, can be purchased if the Board of County Commissioners has declared the "surplus".

Purchase Surplus Property

Purchasing County-owned surplus property is done through public auction or private sale. County-owned surplus properties, other than real, tax title, personal or mobile home properties, valued less than $2,500 may be sold without going to public auction. The Board of County Commissioners determine if the property will be auctioned or not.

Public Auction Process

All other County-owned surplus property must be sold at public auction.  When an auction is established, the Treasurer schedules the public auction. The auction is advertised in the legal notices of the newspaper for two consecutive weeks.  Information will also be available on this website and through our third-party auction website (see below)

The Board of County Commissioners may order the Treasurer to conduct an auction of Tax Title or County surplus properties without the request or application form from an individual.

Liquidated Lists

Nearly all the Tax Title and surplus County-owned property in Whitman County has been liquidated. No separate list exists which identify only the properties Whitman County has retained, which are surplus to its needs.

Copy of Tax Roll

If you wish a copy of our entire tax roll contact our office. The information is available by email or regular postal mail. The charge varies and you are required to sign an affidavit which states that you understand Washington State law prohibits anyone from using this information for commercial purposes. "Commercial Purposes" means that the person requesting the record intends that the list will be used to communicate with the individual names in the record for the purpose of facilitating profit expecting activity.

Public Surplus, Government Surplus Auction Site

We have partnered with Public Surplus to handle our foreclosure sales!